Bret-Mar Landscape is the leading design and build company in the Chicago-land area.
1. Water lawn 2 to 3 times a week
- Follow watering restrictions
- Have irrigation contractor check your system for efficiency
- Early morning watering allows for the left over moisture to burn up. If watered at night it can cause a fungal disease or other problems
- Want deep thorough watering so the roots penetrate deeper into the soil
2. Fertilizer and Weed Control
- Hire a lawn maintenance company or contact your current lawn care technician for recommended products
- Always try to use a balanced fertilizer
- Too high of nitrogen can lead to problems with your lawn
- Fertilize and use weed control at least 3 times a year, some companies recommend up to 5 times a year
3. Aerate lawn once a year.
- The best time to have this done is in the fall
- This relieves the heavy compaction of the clay soil
4. Don’t mow lawn as often during drought
- Set your mower at two and a half inches high