Below is a checklist of activities that should be done this October:
- Begin the seemingly never ending task of removing leaves from the lawn and planting beds. Leaves and other debri invite insects and diseases into the garden.
- Excellent time to transplant deciduous plants. The cool weather is much less stressful on them.
- Make sure to apply deer and rabbit repellent to select plants. Check back later for lists on deer and rabbit loving plants!
- Try not to trim coniferous plant material. Usually these plants expereince some winter burn on new growth. This way in spring the winter burn can be trimmed off while still keeping the desired shape of the plant.
- Don’t forget to give newly planted material a little extra water as we fall into a dry winter.